Any student who lives outside the EU, Switzerland, Iceland, Norway, and Liechtenstein (referred here as the third country) who wants to study in Luxembourg must apply for a Luxembourg student visa.
If you are planning to study in Luxembourg, there are some things that you need to know.
Luxembourg Study Visa
This blog post will provide an overview of the student visa process for those who would like to live and study in Luxembourg.
You can also find more information about education opportunities at LUCA School of Arts, Design & Architecture on their website.
There is no one-size-fits-all solution when it comes to finding your future academic or professional destination abroad. Whether you’re looking for a university degree or technical certification, we have the perfect program waiting just for you!
What is a Luxembourg student visa and what does it do for you:
Luxembourg student visa is the type of visa issued by Luxembourger visa authorities to the students who wish to study in Luxembourg.
This type of visa is issued for a specific period and can be extended or renewed as per requirement (which will definitely depend on your educational status).
A Luxembourg student visa allows an individual entry into Luxembourg, with the objective of studying there.
An application must be filed for a Luxembourg student visa before entering the country.
How to apply for the Luxembourg student visa:
You can apply for a Luxembourg student visa through Luxembourg embassies and consulates in your country of origin.
Those who do not have a Luxembourg embassy or consulate in their home countries can also apply through other means like:
– Online application procedure (for the students from certain countries) at Luxembourg. public.lu/en/vacances-etudier-luxembourg_1/8home/
– Luxembourg embassies who offer visa application service in your home country (consult with the embassy of Luxembourger consulate closest to you).
Documents required to obtain a Luxembourg student visa:
The documents required for a Luxemburg student visa are:
– A valid passport for the student. The passport must have at least one blank page in order to affix a visa sticker on it.
– Completed application form (you can download this from any Luxembourg embassy or consulate)
– Two photos of the applicant, with white background – Proof of admission letter by an educational institution. Please note that the educational institution should be recognized in Luxembourger and must accept international students.
– Proof of sufficient funds to cover the cost of living during your stay in Luxembourg (preferably a bank statement) – Letter from home country’s resident guarantor, who can confirm that you will return back after completion of the study program
– Health certificate (if required).
– The EU registration form, which you will receive after completing the study program.
All documents must be translated into Luxembourger language by authorized translators or educational institutions located in your home country. You should also make sure that the accompanying family member holds the documents required for visa application.
As soon as you have completed all these steps, you can submit your Luxembourg student visa application to the nearest Luxembourger embassy or consulate in your home country.
Tips on how to process your application quickly and efficiently, including mailing addresses, contact information, etc.
– Keep a track of the status of your application by logging in to the online portal – Mailing address for student visa requests:
Ministry of Higher Education and Research, Service Information et Relations Internationals (SIRI), 34 rue Sainte Zither, L-2763 Luxembourg.
Please note that it may take from two weeks to a month to process your application depending on the type of Luxembourg student visa you are applying for.
A summary of all costs involved in obtaining the Luxembourg Student Visa, including payment information, bank details, etc.
– There are no application fees charged by the embassy for a Luxembourg student visa –
The cost of processing your application will depend on your nationality and the type of study you wish to pursue in
Luxembourger (please refer to the official website) – It is also possible that students would have to pay a medical fee.
– For more information please visit luxembourg.public.lu/en/vacances-etudier-luxembourg_13/11home/.
This is a requirement for most applicants before they can get a Schengen entry visa.
A Luxembourg student visa is the ideal visa that has to be obtained by any international student that is interested in running a course that will last for more than 90 days in Luxembourg.
This visa permits students to stay in Luxembourg longer than 90 days and is therefore a long-term visa.
This visa is given to international students that have already gained admission into a higher institution that is recognized in Luxembourg.
You can apply for this visa if you want to carry out research work, seek to get the first degree, or take a special course that might last a little above 90 days.
Luxembourg is a country in the Schengen area.
Some of these countries are the Czech Republic, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Estonia, France, Latvia, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Greece, etc.
The student visa is valid for students wanting to do a course, doctoral program, or to carry out research.
However, citizens of certain countries need not get a visa provided their stay in Luxembourg does not exceed six months.
Foreign students wishing to study here must get their student visas before they enter the country.
Related visa applications:
- Available & Current Visa Sponsorship for Abroad Study, Work & Citizenship
- Visa account login
- American Visa lottery Program – When, Where & How To Apply (Study, work or Live Abroad)
- How to Get and Process Australian Visa
- American visa lottery 2022-2023 Register Now
- How to apply for Tuition-Free Education Student Visa in the USA
- Canadian Visa Lottery 2022-2023 and Apply To study, work, and Live Abroad
- Work and Study Visa in the USA
- Countries Offering Visa Lottery and How to Apply
- Guide to Getting a Canada Student Visa
- GUIDE TO GET U.S STUDENT VISA
- Turkey Visa Documents For Nigerian Citizens
How to Apply for Luxembourg Student Visa
An international student who wants to pursue an educational course in Luxembourg for more than 90 days will have to obtain a student visa.
It is a long-term visa that is granted to those students who have already been accepted for admission by a recognized higher educational institute in Luxembourg.
A foreign student who wants to study in Luxembourg must apply for and obtain a student visa before he or she arrives in the country.
- Proof of enrolment as a full-time student in one of the universities in Luxembourg
- Proof that you have paid the full tuition fees for the course
- Passport with a validity of at least six months post the completion of the course
- Copy of the completed and signed visa application form
- Proof that you have enough financial resources to support yourself during the course and the funds for your return to your home country
- Original copy of the ‘temporary authorization to stay’ letter from the Immigration Department of the
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Luxembourg
- A health insurance policy that will cover the total number of days you will be staying for the duration of your course. The policy must have a minimum coverage of 30,000 Euros
- You must express your intention to leave Luxembourg at the end of your course
- Before entering the country, students must apply for temporary authorization to stay in the country. They
- must apply to the immigration department of Luxembourg from their home country.
This must be submitted before they travel to Luxembourg.
Before entering the country:
You must apply for a visa within the 90 days the authorization is valid
Apply for a Type D visa
After entering the country:
Make a declaration of your arrival
Undergo a medical checkup
Apply for a residence permit
Steps to follow to apply for Luxembourg Student Visa
Before you apply for a Luxembourg student visa, you must obtain a ‘temporary authorization to stay
by applying to the Immigration Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Luxembourg.
This temporary authorization to stay is valid for a period of 90 days only.
You will have to apply for your student visa within this 90 day period. You can go ahead with the following procedure to apply for a Luxembourg student visa:
Step 1: Download the visa application form
Your first step is to obtain the student visa application form for Luxembourg. You can obtain it either from Luxembourg’s Diplomatic Mission or Consular Post in your country or you can download the Visa Application Form through the internet.
Step 2: Fill up the visa application form
Carefully fill out all the information required in the application form. Remember to put your signature on your completed application form.
Step 3: Gather the required documents for visa application
Download or make a checklist of all the documents that you need to submit along with your application form. Gather all the documents and keep them ready for submission.
Step 4: Provide a photograph for your visa application
Provide your recent color photograph for the visa application. Make sure that your photograph matches or corresponds to all the specifications required for visa photographs. In any case, your photograph must not be more than 6 months old. You will need to submit two copies of your passport photograph along with your visa application form.
Step 5: Check the visa application fee
Check the fees required for your visa application. Keep the fee ready for submission along with your application form.
Step 6: Submit your visa application form
Fix an appointment at the Luxembourg visa application center to submit your application. Submit your completed application form at the application center nearest to you, along with all the required documentation.
Step 7: Pay required visa application fee
Pay the applicable fee for your visa application at the time of submitting your application form.
Step 8: Collect your visa
After your visa is issued, you will be notified regarding the issuance.
You must collect the visa personally at the relevant Diplomatic Mission or Consular Post. You can also avail the option of courier delivery of your passport.
Required Fees for Luxembourg Student Visa
Fees for Luxembourg Student Visa – EUR 54.50 (INR 3,874.12)
Your application fee will not be refunded if your application for a student visa is refused or rejected for any reason.
The conversion into Indian currency is based on current conversion rates, which may change. The visa application fee is subject to change at any time.
Luxembourg Study Visa, Residence permit application
The third-country national student must submit an application for a residence permit for third-country students to the Immigration Directorate of the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs within 3 months of arrival in Luxembourg.
The following documents must be sent together with the specific residence permit application form:
- a copy of their valid passport, in its entirety;
- a copy of the temporary authorization to stay;
- proof of final enrolment in a higher education establishment (enrolment certificate);
- a copy of the declaration of arrival established by the communal authority;
- proof of payment of a fee of EUR 80 to account IBAN LU46 1111 2582 2814 0000.
When the application is approved, the applicant will receive a letter inviting them to make an appointment with
the Immigration Directorate of the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs in order to have their photograph.
The applicant may also bring a recent photograph compliant with OACI/ICAO standards (‘biometric passport standards’).
The residence permit takes the form of a chip card containing the biometric data.
The residence permit includes information about its holder (surname, first name, nationality, date, and place of birth).
as well as specific information about the residence permit (permit category, date of beginning, and end of validity of the permit).
Certain residence permit categories include additional information in the field “observation”.
In the case of the “student” residence permit, the observation on the permit includes information on eligibility for work.